Browsing All Posts filed under »community«

Beer ‘n Blogs October 21

September 30, 2011

Yep, that’s all she wrote, “she” being Allison Markin, digital doyenne of the Okanagan. And what am I writing, besides this blog post? I’m writing my notes for the two workshops I’ll be leading: Internet Drama for Fun and Profit and the less amusing but also far less likely to end in a plaintive midnight […]

Social Media Week Vancouver Roundup

September 28, 2011

It was a sweet assault of culture shock, returning from Yellowknife to Vancouver in the middle of Social Media Week; I wonder if the Arctic explorers of past centuries felt anything similar when they returned to London or Lisbon or Wherever, like moving forward in time five or fifty or five hundred years. And I […]

Panel: Social Media for Government’s Social Media Enthusiast Panel Session: Practical Advice On Hot Topics, Trends And Best Practices

September 16, 2011

Yes, more blatherage from yours truly on the hot topic of social media and government. On Wednesday, September 28th, I’ll be winging my way to one of my favorite places, Victoria, BC and panelizing with my friends and fellow social media addicts: You have questions? We have answers. Interact and discuss solutions to your social […]

Speaking at Yellowknife Rotary

September 6, 2011

Yes, it’s back in the saddle for me: I’ll be speaking at the Yellowknife Rotary Club meeting at the Top Knight 5:30-6:30 this Thursday, September 8. It’ll just be a brief introduction: who I am, what I’m doing in Yellowknife, and hopefully by then I’ll have scheduled an afternoon to teach Social Media for Business […]

Do Dad

July 25, 2011

You’ve heard of Sean Orr’s vast internet empire, Don’t Dad. Say Hello to Do Dad: And you wonder why everyone’s scrambling to get off of Facebook and onto Google+!

Org Charts of New Media

June 29, 2011

I was going to add a lot of words about how this is so incredibly right-on, but then I thought you were smart enough to figure it out yourself. Don’t prove me wrong, please.

Victoria Blogger Expo coming up!

May 5, 2011

You’d think, since Vancouver is so much bigger than Victoria, that its digital infrastructure and culture would be much more advanced, more strongly networked, more robust, and more supportive. You’d be wrong. What happens in Vancouver digital culture is the same thing that happens in Vancouver non-digital culture: groups split up and form into silos, […]

Not much to Gawk at

March 21, 2011

So, how’s that redesign coming, Denton? Between the rotating WHITE SCREEN OF DEATH and “Post Save Failed” it’s no wonder I’ve taken my commenting juice elsewhere and the stats look like this: Denton claims that Sitemeter isn’t accurate: all I can say is that I’ve used them continuously for five years and that my own […]

You’re Welcome!

March 21, 2011

When I was in the hospital recently (and for those of you coming to this soap opera late, I spent five months in and out of the hospital, a tale chronicled elsewhere) I missed blogging, sure; any writer misses writing. I couldn’t even type straight because of the morphine. But the thing I missed the […]

EatDrinkTweet and Workshop Discounts

March 13, 2011

Hey all, I’m overfed, overwatered, and overwined (as is only right at a kickass social media conference in the heart of wine country called EatDrinkTweet) but wanted to put up a quick note for attendees of the conference. First of all, a big thanks to Allison Markin of All She Wrote for putting together one […]

Writing INeffective Spam

March 1, 2011

Ah, how perfect that this comes to me now, almost immediately after the previous spam which I called out as super-effective and, in fact, delightful. As they say in undergraduate humanities examinations, Compare and Contrast. First, the background: several years ago I was working as a marketing assistant to someone who did a lot of […]