It’s not often you see a job listing with THAT image, but it is today, and the job is a digital communications, fundraising, and strategy position with the very well-respected Rainforest Alliance. Full listing is here, but the original image was on Facebook. Whoever runs their digital communications currently is pretty smart, because they know how awesome images get shared on Facebook. I might go for this myself.
For almost 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
The Digital Content Editor will work closely with RAN’s Digital engagement director, as well as our communications, organizing, and development teams to develop and implement digital campaign strategies for pressuring environmentally negligent corporations and building power for our organization and movement. They will create and manage online communications to RAN supporters via email, blog, social media, and emerging digital channels; track and analyze data on supporter behavior to better understand who our supporters are and what messages resonate best with them; and use digital tools to amplify the message of our non-violent direct actions targeting the worst corporate offenders. This role will maintain RAN’s online voice and proactively create an editorial calendar that meets RAN’s campaign objectives.
This position aims to further RAN’s mission and legacy of using cutting edge creative online and offline organizing to challenge abuses of power and advance environmental and social justice. A successful candidate will have experience with effective online messaging, content planning, and a keen editorial eye. She/he will be someone who understands grassroots organizing and advocacy and the goal of connecting communities to action – both online and off. The ideal candidate will view technology as a creative tool for social change.
- Develop the organizational digital calendar;
- Coach others in producing content;
- Develop the organization’s online fundraising strategy;
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with other NGOs working on energy, climate, forests, Indigenous and human rights issues;
- Create comprehensive online strategy for the campaigns to maximize list growth and audience responsiveness;
- Develop and implement strategies for maximizing the effectiveness of the campaign’s use of a wide variety of internet tools including: email lists, RAN sites, online advocacy, social media, blogs, social networks, digital multimedia, search engines, and online advertising;
- Develop mechanisms for reporting and sharing online data/results and analysis of results to relevant staff, board members and allies;
- Contribute to setting overall campaign and organizational strategies in coordination with the campaign teams;
- Develop and maintain data systems to support online to offline organizing;
- Manage relationships with online service providers, vendors and contractors; and
- Represent RAN and act as spokesperson for the campaign as needed.
- Minimum of two years experience in content management;
- Demonstrated ability to work in diverse teams, manage volunteers, interns, and consultants and also drive projects independently;
- Understanding of story-based strategy and demonstrated ability to write clear, concise and compelling prose, in the form of blog entries, op-eds, email alerts and/or essays;
- Demonstrated ability to generate creative, well-designed web, mobile and/or social media content to help tell stories through pictures, text, etc.;
- Some experience with producing or supervising the production of videos and/or podcasting in the context of web content and/or online campaign; and
- Some experience with online fundraising;
- Knowledge of and/or interest in diversity and anti-oppression issues desired.
- Experience creating and executing data-driven and goal-oriented strategic online communication, engagement and fundraising plans;
- Experience using and administering Internet technologies such as content management systems and eCRM; blogging etc.
RAN values diversity, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
How to apply
Please send resume, writing samples, and letter of interest to