Got this via a Facebook friend. I’m casual pals with the person who held this job until recently, and I can tell you these are big shoes to fill, but if you can do it, it’s a great gig.
The New Media Manager is responsible for optimizing the business of the City through web based communication tools. Key deliverables include developing strategies for coordinated two way communication of City business to internal and external stakeholder through the web and new media. The Manager will lead the City of Surrey’s efforts to deliver innovative web services and communications to the City’s stakeholders. The Manager will support the New Media Team in the development and implementation of the City’s on-line, and interactive media strategies. The Manager will execute the strategy in support of the City’s business deliverables. Reporting to the General Manager Parks, Recreation and Culture, the Manager leads a small team of web and social media specialists.
The Manager will lead and support the Web and New Media Team as it delivers on its mandate of supporting the City’s key initiatives through effective website management and appropriate use of social media communication vehicles.
Key responsibilities include:
- Shaping and executing the City’s on-line presence through the effective management and support of websites, social media platforms, and the identification and integration of new innovations in the field.
- Overseeing the technology enhancements, content planning and implementation of online services and online engagement across all City websites.
- Advancing a collaborative and integrated new media strategy including an innovative on-line social media strategy.
- Leading the implementation and ongoing management of measurement and effectiveness strategies for online services and social media platforms.
- Ensuring internal and external stakeholder engagement by proactively executing against current and future needs.
- Working with City departments to ensure content on Surrey.ca and surreylibraries.ca is relevant, up to date and facilitates the business of the City.
- Managing external vendor relationships.
- Developing and executing a Speaker’s Bureau strategy improving local, national and international understanding of Surrey’s place as a destination for business investment.
- Supporting City Departments’ successful outreach to key online influencers and bloggers.
- Monitoring and measuring of the City’s “voice” in the Social Media conversation ensuring it is consistent with our values.
Desired Skills & Experience
In alignment with the City of Surrey’s core values (teamwork, community, innovation, integrity and service) the successful candidate will:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in a related field (business, communication, social media, public relations, or a related discipline);
- Have superior written (document and presentation formats), verbal communications and presentation skills;
- Comfort working both tactically and strategically at various levels of an organization up to and including executive leaders;
- Strong coaching skills;
- Track record of success leading teams in the execution of a strategic plan;
- Have 3-5 years of work experience in web communications, social media strategies, media planning, media production, and/or related technology;
- Superior computer skills – proficient in PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word;
- Beneficial to have experience in rich media tools used in audio and video production
The City of Surrey is the fastest growing and most diverse city in the region. We have more than 3400 employees and are looking for new people to help build Surrey for the future, today.
Find your fit in one of our 10 departments. Our job functions include opportunities for almost everyone, with varying education requirements. We are looking for people who place importance on diversity, teamwork and inclusion. Join our team and contribute to the evolution of the City of Surrey.
Click here to apply via LinkedIn.