Adding on to our original announcement of two job opportunities at the Gallery Gachet, here is the very latest. Note that the deadline for this is May 19th as well.
Student JOB POSTING: Communications & Sales Coordinator
May 19, 2009
SUMMER STUDENT JOB POSTING
Communications and Sales Coordinator
Closing date: Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Gallery Gachet is seeking a motivated, creative individual who will work collaboratively with the staff/Collective team to assist artists to prepare marketing and related materials as part of their efforts to build a self-sustaining art practice.
Gallery Gachet is a dynamic collectively-run arts production, education and presentation space located in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (DTES). Named after Vincent van Gogh’s homeopathic doctor, Gallery Gachet provides artists marginalized by their mental health, trauma or abuse experience with opportunities to produce, exhibit, curate, perform, read, teach and to develop their leadership skills. Founded in 1994, Gallery Gachet strives to provide a focal point for dialogue amongst outsider, contemporary and community-engaged artists, in order to advance the artistic discourse around their day-to-day issues. We aim to use the canvas of the outside world to educate and demystify the public on issues related to mental health and abuse.
This full-time position is for 14 weeks, commencing May 25, 2009. It is supported by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), and is oriented to students (aged 15-30 years) returning to school in September. Under this program, eligible candidates must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or person whom refugee protection has been conferred; and be legally entitled to work in Canada.
In keeping with the Gallery’s mandate, which includes the promotion of artistic development of the Gallery members, the Communications Assistant will assist local artists marginalized by mental health prepare marketing and related materials as part of their efforts to build a self-sustaining art practice. Duties include exploring low-cost, low-risk online sales opportunities, partnering with legitimate and ethical internet ventures for art product sales, and developing website content.
Under the direction of the Administrative Coordinator, and working with the Communications Committee and Gallery Gachet Collective, the Communications and Sales Coordinator will:
• Mentor and assist Gallery Gachet members and local artists accessing Gallery Gachet in designing/developing arts promotional and marketing materials. This could include assistance with the preparation of CV’s, documentation of artwork, creation of CD’s, printed packages, and website content.
• Support the development of network opportunities for these artists through the local arts and mental health communities, and potential art patrons.
• Assist with the design and development of promotional and marketing materials for Gallery Gachet upcoming programs.
• Support monthly design and distribution of exhibition promotional materials (poster, postcards);
• Some basic office duties will also be required.
• Demonstrated marketing, communications and promotional skills.
• Have good communication & writing skills.
• Have an educational or personal background in arts and culture.
• Must have strong computer skills with a variety of software (Word, Adobe CS suite, Acrobat, and/or other relevant graphic programs) and knowledge of online social media tools like facebook, twitter, blogging, etc.
• May have experience with web design, including drupal (not necessary).
• May have an understanding of creative technology within an artist-run centre context.
• May have knowledge or experience with mental health or disability issues.
• Be resourceful, and handle multi-tasking in a busy environment.
How to Apply: Closing date Tuesday, May 19, 2009. Email resume and cover letter (as pdf or .doc) to email@example.com and include “Communications and Sales Coordinator” in subject heading. Or deliver to 88 East Cordova St., Vancouver, BC, V6A 1K2. Regrettably, only those being interviewed will be contacted. Gallery Gachet is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages individuals informed by mental health issues, or other disabilities, to apply for this position.
Gallery Gachet is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages students informed by mental health issues, or other disabilities, to apply for this position.