This photo of Richmond is courtesy of TripAdvisor
This has been all over Twitter: eat and blog your way through Richmond restaurants and make $50,000 in a year (enough to buy you that car you’ll unquestionably need to get around Richmond).
Are you passionate about food? Are you constantly on Facebook and Twitter? Do you author a blog just to share all of your amazing culinary finds? Richmond, British Columbia is home to some of the best Asian food in the world and Tourism Richmond is looking for someone to help spread the word!
Tourism Richmond, an award-winning destination marketing organization (DMO), is holding open auditions to find one lucky blogger who ll embark on a paid, year-long foodie adventure for 365 days, a social media whiz will get the chance to sample all the amazing fare our thriving destination of 200,000 residents and 800+ restaurants has to offer—one meal and one restaurant at a time.
Only a 25 minute ride from downtown Vancouver on the Canada Line rapid transit system and home to the Vancouver International Airport (YVR), Richmond, British Columbia is a gastronomic gem. With a population that s 65 per cent Asian and with the largest proportion of Canadian residents of Chinese ancestry (45 per cent), Richmond is THE North American Mecca for Asian cuisine and boasts more than 400 Asian-influenced eateries. From bottomless bowls of spicy laksa soup to melt-in-your-mouth Korean short ribs, Richmond s diverse dishes span the continent of Asia. Declared by everyone from the New York Times to Conde Nast Traveler as having “the best Chinese food outside of China,” freshly-prepared dim sum, sizzling hot pot, frothy bubble tea, flaky pastries and steaming bowls of congee also await at every corner.
But Richmond isn t limited solely to its Asian cuisine—the scenic and historic fishing village of Steveston (which today remains Canada s largest commercial fishing harbour) is renowned for its fresh seafood offerings, artisan coffee shops and tempting bakeries. With all this, plus fine-dining restaurants, funky diners and the numerous scrumptious offerings of Richmond s public markets to choose from, there s more than enough variety to keep a hungry blogger busy for a year.
About the Job:
Reporting to Tourism Richmond s Director of Marketing, the opportunity is a paid one-year, full- time contract role. The selected applicant will visit at least one of Richmond s restaurants per day and craft a blog post around that experience. We are not looking for a food critic; rather, we are seeking someone who can share Richmond s story through its eateries—someone who understands that cuisine is an integral part of a community and a visitor s travel experience.
Responsibilities in this role include, but are not limited to:
- at least one dining experience per day at one of Richmond s 800+ restaurants
- one blog post per day using photos and/or videos to support the messaging
- aggregation of content across personal social media channels (Facebook, Twitter,
- Pinterest, etc.)
- community management across social media channels—having conversations with the
- audience as opposed to talking to them
- a willingness to explore all that Richmond has to offer outside of its food scene and to
- share this information in an engaging way
The successful applicant will:
- have an established blog, preferably with a focus on food and/or travel
- have a highly engaged following in social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter
- have a proven ability to communicate online in a natural and authentic voice that is
- engaging and transparent
- have an open mind and a willingness to try new things
- be willing to live in and explore Richmond, BC, for a period of one year
The chosen applicant will receive the following from Tourism Richmond:
- annual contract salary of $50,000
- daily stipend for restaurant meals
- apartment and living costs compensation for a period of one year (negotiable upon final
- 1 year gym membership at the Richmond Olympic Oval
If this amazing opportunity sounds like a fit for you or someone you know, check out our online
application form on Facebook: www.facebook.com/RichmondBC