Much as I tease the Drupalites for their blind adoration of a platform with the world’s worst user interface, I do acknowledge that Drupal is a powerful tool, and have always been curious about it. This looks like an amazing opportunity to learn how to get a Drupal site up and running in one day. Here are the details, which I got off Twitter:
Eventbrite ticket: $10
1100-333 Seymour St.
Vancouver, British Columbia
The Vancouver Drupal In A Day Workshop is a hands-on introduction to building a web site using the free, open-source content management system Drupal. We will cover questions like “What can Drupal do?”, “Why choose Drupal?”, and general concepts of on-line content management with a database behind your web site. Then we’ll work through the basics of setting up a Drupal site.
This workshop is suitable for Drupal beginners.
The Drupal in a Day Workshop is presented by the Vancouver Drupal User Group.
Attendees must provide their own computers with wireless connection and working web browser.
- People attending the workshop will come away with a good understanding of what Drupal does and what types of sites it can be used for.
- They will be exposed to the basics of building a site in Drupal.
- They will be exposed to the modules most people use to build Drupal sites.
9:00 AM to 10 AM: Sign in, set up
Attendees will be asked to install website software before the course. Please arrive at 9:00 AM to get help. If you already have a clean Acquia Drupal site running, you can arrive at 9:45 AM to sign in and get settled.
10 AM – 10:45 AM – Introduction to Drupal – Presentation
- Introduce leader and volunteers.
- What is content management, and what can a content management system (CMS) do?
- Site showcase – what Drupal can do, what it’s really good for
- Why choose Drupal? Why not choose Drupal?
- Drupal terminology
- Modules (core and contributed) and themes – where to get them and what they do
- File directory structure of Drupal
10:45 AM – 11:30 AM – Getting started with Drupal – Hands on
- Enabling modules
- Changing and configuring the theme
- Setting up automatic URL aliases
- Creating “Page” content
- Setting your site’s home page, and other settings on the Site Information page
- Editing the Primary Links menu
11:45 PM – 12:45 PM – Content types / CCK – Hands on
- Create a custom content type “Photo”, with image and text fields
- Adjust settings for the content type on the Display Fields screen
- Create some content for this content type
- Set up ImageCache to control how photos are displayed
1:45 PM – 2:45 pm – Views and Blocks – Hands on
- Use the Views module to create a photo gallery
- Use the Views menu to create a Latest Photo block
- Arrange and configure blocks
3 PM – 4:30 PM – Additional Topics and Wrap-up – Demo, presentation, discussion