This came out on Twitter. I know several people who’ve worked at the garden, and they all enjoyed it a great deal. It’s a very special place in Chinatown:
Position: Website / Usability Consultant Organization: Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden Mission Statement: We are a classical Chinese garden, providing unique cultural experiences for visitors and the community through a lively series of events, cultural exchanges, educational programs and garden tours.
Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden is a non-profit organization and cultural attraction, passionate about connecting cultures and communities through festivals, live music, art exhibits, theatre, education and wellness programs.
Our 25th year anniversary is coming up in 2011, and we want our website to meet the demands of the year to come and to serve the Garden effectively in the future (http://www.vancouverchinesegarden.com). We want our website to reach out and engage people, enabling them to discover, understand and be involved with this one-of-a-kind arts/cultural hub.
We are looking for a Website/Usability Consultant with the expertise to produce a mock-up for our new website, which responds strategically to the needs of the organization. You will focus especially on usability and functionality.
If you are looking to switch things up with a really creative project, this is it!
• Review the current website and produce a series of recommendations for the new website
• Produce a mockup of new website with the focus on usability and functionality
• Attend planning/follow-up meetings as needed
• Engage in regular communication (via email, phone or in person) with key staff person(s) as needed
• Work collaboratively and respectfully with Garden staff
• Present and explain the mockup at the conclusion of the project
• Represent Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden in a professional manner
Approximately 50 hours, with a project completion date of November 30, 2010. The time will be distributed amongst research/planning, meetings, design and final presentation. Some hours may be done remotely from home.
The Website/Usability Consultant will work closely with the Community Development and Social Media Coordinator, and the Volunteer Coordinator. The final product will be presented to the Executive Director.
Volunteers Required: 1 Skills and Experience: • A minimum of 4 years’ professional experience in web design and usability testing
• A good up-to-date knowledge of social media and its application
• Conversant in a variety of web programming languages
• Familiarity with the consultation process – recent consulting experience is an asset
• Understanding of non-profit sector
Please send your resume, cover letter and a brief description of a campaign you have worked or consulted on to Caroline Birnie: firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is October 1st, 2010. If you have any questions, please call Caroline on 604-662-3207 ext. 208, or Donna Chen on 604-662-3207 ext. 210.
Other Language Required: Requirements: Reimbursements: Training Provided: N/A Benefits to Volunteer: You will receive one-year membership to the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden, invitations to special events and programs, plus acknowledgement on our new website. We will provide a letter of recommendation at the successful conclusion of the project, upon request, and serve as a reference if appropriate. Contact: Caroline Birnie
604-662-3207 ext. 208