The quality of boldness is not one that is celebrated anywhere this side of Donald Trump’s ego, but it is a quality which is essential to changing your life. If you don’t dare, if you don’t try, who will? Whose job is it, anyway?
That would be you.
And who and what will make you rise to the challenge of turning your life around and going in the direction you’ve chosen for yourself?
You again: right in one. You’ve got to dare, to become.
Matt has a thought-provoking (and hopefully action-inspiring) post on boldness and how it can make your life easier; that’s right, I said easier. It’s like jumping into cold water when your ship is sinking. A shock at first, but much better for you in the long run than sticking with where you were and what you were doing there (sinking…not so terribly productive, is it?). He’s got a great roundup of books and resources, too. Here are just the inspirational quotes he’s included, as a warmup:
- Fortune befriends the bold. — Emily Dickinson
- Freedom lies in being bold. — Robert Frost
- If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when? — Rabbi Hillel
- Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute! Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Only engage, and then the mind grows heated. Begin, and then the work will be completed. — Jean Anouilh
- Begin, be bold and venture to be wise. — Horace
- Be bold. If you’re going to make an error, make a doozy, and don’t be afraid to hit the ball. — Billie Jean King
- Laugh at yourself, but don’t ever aim your doubt at yourself. Be bold. When you embark for strange places, don’t leave any of yourself safely on shore. Have the nerve to go into unexplored territory. — Alan Alda
- The flower has opened, has been in the sun and is unafraid. I’m taking more chances; I’m bold and proud. — Paula Cole
- All good fortune is a gift of the gods, and you don’t win the favor of the ancient gods by being good, but by being bold. — Anita Brookner
- Fortune favors the bold. — Virgil
Go on and read the whole thing. Post your suggestions and recommendations in the wiki or in the comments here.